New Chinese GCSE Exam Board Presentations
The GCSE Day was held at the IOE Confucius Institute in January 2019. AQA and Edexcel , who both led sessions at the event, have provided us with the materials from that day, which can be found below.
The below resources are replica AQA SAMs that have been created to enable students to gain a better understanding of the format of the AQA paper. Please note that these are in no way AQA products.
These were written and kindly shared by: James Stagg and Linying Liu (Mandarin Consultants at Harris Federation) and Swire Chinese Language Centre London (supported by SWIRE Chinese Language Foundation).
Created for teachers by teachers
Jenny Chen, now Head of Chinese at Bede’s Senior School, has created this bank of questions as final revision for Year 11 students. The question are divided in to the 3 themes under the AQA GCSE spec, however the resource could also be adapted to suit the Edexcel headings.
Jenny Chen, whilst Head of Oriental Studies at Queen Margaret’s school, created a quizlet of GCSE core vocabulary. Jenny has very kindly shared it with us in the hope that other teachers can use it to prepare their students for the GCSE Listening and Reading Paper.
Jenny Wong, Head of Mandarin at Latymer Upper School, and Lina Fowles, Mandarin teacher at Cleeve School, have jointly created and kindly agreed to share a list of key vocabulary for the AQA GCSE Speaking Test.
Mary Wood, Head of MFL at St Bartholomew’s School, has created the following courses on memrise:
AQA and Edexcel
- Click here to review the comparison of the AQA GCSE Chinese and Edexcel GCSE Chinese written by the UCL IOE Chinese Networks team.
- This resource can be used (for either exam board) to help with the Chinese writing exam: GCSE Writing Practice: 125-Character Challenge! – Alex Ferraby, Seven Kings School
- Elliot Hsiao-Williams, Head of Teaching at Dragons Chinese Teaching Specialists, has kindly created flashcards for the AQA GCSE spec (based on all 19 units of the two GCSE textbooks) and for the Edexcel IGCSE (based on the 5 topic areas). The resources can be found here: https://quizlet.com/DragonsTeaching
Listed below are links to useful materials from our previous Annual Chinese Conferences which relate to GCSE level study of Mandarin organised by year.
- Stronger KS3 and New GCSE in Mandarin – Are You Ready? – Shan Lane
- Classroom strategies for delivering the new Chinese GCSE writing – Alice Webb & Dr. Qian Kan
- Teaching writing styles for the new GCSE – Yadi Luo
- Activities and Strategies Targeting New GCSE Exam Questions – from Speaking to Writing – Newton Leng
- Planning for progress in the context of the new curriculum – Aurelie Sanner
- New elements in GCSE – Michelle Tate and Yan Hua
- Facing and embracing: Recognising the Challenges and Opportunities with New MFL Directions – Alex Ferraby
- Effective strategies in teaching speaking and listening for new Chinese GCSE – Fang Xiao
- FCSE in Chinese – Anne Martin & Alice Webb
- Rethinking assessment styles for Key Stage 3 and GCSE Mandarin – F.Davidson & J.Stagg
- Constructing a sustainable Mandarin curriculum model preparing students for GCSE – K. Howarth & H. Lewis
All workshop materials from our Conferences (2015 onward) which cover a wide range of topics can also be found here.