Enquiry-based Subject Expert Micro-programme
This Mandarin-specific and enquiry-based professional development micro-programme provides experienced school teachers of Mandarin in the country with the opportunity to upgrade subject knowledge, explore pedagogical approaches, and develop further their career.
This course will be delivered using blended learning with 3 online seminars and 3 face-to-face joint practice development sessions on campus at UCL.
In line with Teachers’ Standards, this programme will support experienced teachers, enhancing their professionalism and fulfilling wider professional responsibilities through engaging with a collaborative action research project. Through such project, experienced teachers will have the opportunity to investigate a particular area of practice to improve pupil outcomes, and collaborate with peers, experts and academics to explore innovative pedagogical approaches. This programme will also lead to further opportunities for experienced teachers to contribute to the wider network of Mandarin learning and teaching by sharing their research projects and pedagogical approaches.
Throughout this year-long programme, participants will engage in a collaborative action research project with their group lead and team members in an area-specific working group.
Qualified School Teachers of Mandarin in the UK (with at least 1 full-year UK school-based teaching experience)
Available – Limited Places
IOE Confucius Institute for Schools
- To enable experienced school teachers of Mandarin to upgrade subject knowledge, and explore pedagogical approaches
- To support experienced school teachers of Mandarin in investigating an area of practice with clear intentions for impact on pupil outcomes, and engaging critically with research
- To provide experienced school teachers of Mandarin with the opportunity to collaborate with their peers and experts.
- To support experienced school teachers of Mandarin contributing their expertise to the wider network of teaching and learning of Mandarin.
Who the programme is for
This programme has been developed specifically for qualified teachers of Mandarin with at least 1 full-year UK school-based experience and who will be working in a UK secondary school during 2022-2023.
The programme consists of well-structured support and guidance, in order to facilitate participants’ engagement with and commitment to a collaborative action research project within one of the working groups below in 2022-2023:
- Working Group 1: Language-culture Knowledge Development through CLIL
- Working Group 2: Vocabulary Learning through Music
- Working Group 3: Listening Skill Development
The programme will be delivered through 3 online seminars and 3 full-day joint practice development sessions on campus at UCL.
- Online Seminar 1: Tuesday 11th October 2022, 16:00-17:30
- Joint Practice Development 1: Friday 4th November 2022, 10:00-15:45
- Online Seminar 2: Tuesday 7th February 2023, 16:00-17:30
- Online Seminar 3: Tuesday 28th March 2023, 16:00-17:30
- Joint Practice Development 2: Friday 31st March 2023, 10:00-15:45
- Joint Practice Development 3: Friday 9th June 2023, 10:00-15:45
Total professional development time: 20 hours.
A programme completion certificate will be issued provided full attendance to the online seminars and joint practice development sessions, and contribution to the group-based research report.
Free of charge for qualified teachers of Mandarin with at least 1 full-year UK school-based experience and who will be working in a UK school during 2022-2023.
How to apply for this programme
The deadline to apply for this programme is Wednesday 5th October 2022.
Please click « Apply Now » below and fill out the application form.
Given the limited places available on the programme, prospective participants should complete the application form below as soon as possible. Please contact Kate Wilson (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Please note: applications may close earlier than the above deadline if all places on the course are filled.
Following successful acceptance onto the programme, participants and their line-managers will be sent an enrolment confirmation by the application closing date.
Teacher Training and Professional Development Coordinator