Enquiry-based Subject Expert Micro-programme
This Mandarin-specific and enquiry-based professional development micro-programme provides experienced school teachers of Mandarin in the country with the opportunity to strengthen pedagogical and subject knowledge, optimise learning and teaching practice, and further develop their career.
This course will be delivered using blended learning with 3 online seminars and 3 face-to-face joint practice development sessions on campus at UCL.
In line with Teachers’ Standards, this programme will support experienced teachers, enhancing their professionalism and fulfilling wider professional responsibilities through engaging with a collaborative action research project. Through such project, experienced teachers will have the opportunity to reflect on their own practice, explore and investigate a particular area of practice to improve pupil outcomes, and collaborate with peers, experts and academics to generate innovative learning and teaching approaches. This programme will also lead to further opportunities for experienced teachers to contribute to the wider network of Mandarin learning and teaching by sharing their subject knowledge and pedagogy.
Throughout this year-long programme, participants will focus on a specific area of practice and engage in a collaborative action research project with their team members in an area-specific working group.
Qualified School Teachers of Mandarin in the UK (with at least 1 full-year UK school-based teaching experience)
Available – Limited Places
IOE Confucius Institute for Schools
- To enable experienced school teachers of Mandarin to strengthen pedagogical and subject knowledge, and optimise their learning and teaching practice.
- To support experienced school teachers of Mandarin in investigating an area of practice with clear intentions for impact on pupil outcomes, and engaging critically with research.
- To provide experienced school teachers of Mandarin with the opportunity to collaborate with their peers and experts.
- To support and recognise experienced school teachers of Mandarin who contribute their expertise to the wider network of teaching and learning of Mandarin.
Who the programme is for
This programme has been developed specifically for qualified teachers of Mandarin with at least 1 full-year UK school-based experience and who will be working in a UK secondary school during 2021-2022.
The programme consists of well-structured support and guidance, in order to facilitate participants’ engagement with and commitment to a collaborative action research project within one of the working groups* below in 2021-2022:
- Working Group 1: Cross-curricular and Motivation
- Working Group 2: Written Vocabulary Learning
- Working Group 3: Listening Skill Development
*If you wish to propose and lead a working group exploring another specific area of practice, please give more details by filling in the ‘additional information’ column at the end of the application form.
The programme will be delivered through 3 online seminars and 3 full-day joint practice development sessions on campus at UCL. Should face-to-face sessions not be possible, the programme may be delivered through a series of online synchronous sessions.
- Online Seminar 1: Thursday 23rd September 2021, 16:00-17:30
- Joint Practice Development 1: Tuesday 12th October 2021, 10:00-15:45
- Joint Practice Development 2: Tuesday18th January 2022, 10:00-15:45
- Online Seminar 2: Monday 21st March 2022, 16:00-17:30
- Joint Practice Development 3: Friday 20th May 2022, 10:00-15:45
- Online Seminar 3: Thursday 9th June 2022, 16:00-17:30 (TBC)
Total professional development time: 20 hours.
A programme completion certificate will be issued provided full attendance to the online seminars and joint practice development sessions, and contribution to the group-based research report.
Free of charge for qualified teachers of Mandarin with at least 1 full-year UK school-based experience and who will be working in a UK school during 2021-2022.
How to apply for this programme
The deadline to apply for this programme is Thursday 16th September 2021.
Please click « Apply Now » below and fill out the application form. The application form should be fully completed by the prospective participant.
Given the limited places available on the programme, prospective participants should complete the application form below as soon as possible. Please contact Kate Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Once your application has been received, an initial admission letter will be sent to you within 10 working days.
Following successful acceptance onto the programme, participants, line-managers and SLT of the school will be sent an enrolment confirmation and welcome letter prior to the start of the programme.
Teacher Training and Professional Development Coordinator