There is an ever-growing demand for Mandarin teachers across schools in England. To fulfil this demand, UCL Institute of Education (alongside other providers) are looking for schools across the country that are able to provide PGCE students with a high-quality placement.
Since 2011 the IOE has been training teachers of Chinese through its Mandarin specific PGCE programme. Schools are now able to register their interest in hosting a PGCE student at their school, whether through the traditional PGCE or School Direct (tuition fee) route.
How can I request a PGCE student for my school?
If your school is interested in hosting a student teacher simply complete the form at the end of this page, or contact us on email@example.com. When making your request, be sure to let us know if you are looking for a student who can speak Mandarin or Mandarin and an additional language.
Whilst most student teachers take part in the IOE PGCE participate in placements are based in the South East, we are able to work alongside you to discuss the feasibility of offering placements further afield. We can also provide you with details on other Initial Teacher Education providers that may offer a Mandarin specific course more locally to your school.
What are the requirements for hosting a PGCE student at my school?
- Schools will typically host a student teacher from either October – January (known as SE1) and/or from February – June (known SE2).
- You’ll need to provide student teachers with around 9 – 11 hours of classroom experience a week, normally across both Key Stages 3 and 4. Student teachers will typically teach several classes, taking an increasing responsibility for whole class teaching as the placement progresses.
- Mentor teachers will need to support student teachers’ professional development through meeting with the student at least once a week to provide continued feedback and support through their school-based experience.
What support is available through the IOE?
- Prior to joining your school student teachers will have received considerable training at the Institute of Education, tailored specifically for those looking to teach Modern Foreign Languages.
- Each student will be tutored through the Mandarin PGCE lead Katharine Carruthers, who will be responsible for the oversight of their training. All schools hosting a PGCE student will be visited once a placement by either Katharine Carruthers or Xiaoming Zhu.
- All subject mentors will receive subject specific mentor training, which acts as a perfect opportunity to meet the IOE PGCE Languages team
What are the benefits of hosting a PGCE student?
- PGCE students selected through the IOE are of high calibre, and have progressed quickly within the sector, with many moving on to lead Mandarin or MFL departments
- Schools looking to expand their Mandarin department get the opportunity to work alongside the “next generation” of Mandarin teachers who can bring a range of new ideas and resources to the classroom
If you require further information related or are interested in hosting a PGCE student please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the below form.