Click here for 中文.
To find out more about the UCL Institute of Education Confucius Institute please click below and watch our film……
Schools across the country are increasingly offering Mandarin Chinese as an option for their students. The IOE CI supports schools in starting and developing the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese. The IOE CI is a bilateral project with Peking University and Peking University High School. As well as a team of specialists in London, the IOE CI has a network of 43 Confucius Classrooms across England, schools which have both Chinese firmly embedded in their own curriculum and which give advice, support and taster classes to other schools in their region looking to start offering Chinese.
Aims of the IOE Confucius Institute for Schools:
- To work to secure a major expansion in the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese throughout the English school system;
- to enable Chinese and English schools to have constructive and successful school partnerships and for teachers and learners in the school systems in both countries to learn from each other;
- to support the mainstreaming of Chinese teaching across schools in England, acting as a central point for queries and advice, by phone and through its e-forum (see below) and organising an annual conference for teachers of Chinese;
- to develop and promote teaching materials suitable for use in English schools;
- to train local teachers of Chinese;
- to train teachers sent from China to support development work in schools new to Chinese;
- to advance research on the learning of Chinese as a foreign language at school level, providing a secure basis for future thinking and developments in the field;
- to support the development of appropriate accreditation – both with English Examination Boards and using YCT/HSK proficiency tests;
- to encourage IOE Confucius Classrooms to hold a range of appropriate cultural activities;
- to work with Chinese and English partner schools on bilateral programmes at teacher and student level;
- to organise annual student language learning visits to China to enhance language acquisition.
To sign up to the e-forum please go to jiscmail.