Early Career Framework
Early Career Professional Development – Mandarin Teacher Micro-programme
10:30 – 17:00, 3 days
London Hub – UCL Campus, London: Saturday 11th November 2023, Saturday 27th January 2024 and Friday 19th April 2024
Leeds Hub – The Morley Academy, Leeds: Saturday 18th November 2023, Saturday 3rd February 2024 and Friday 26th April 2024
- To provide subject-specific support – complementary to full/core induction programme – to first-year and second-year of Early Career Teachers of Mandarin in phase of completing their 2-year induction period and meeting Teachers’ Standards.
- To stimulate reflection upon and reconsideration of practice built through ITT and/or first-year teaching
- To further develop subject and curriculum knowledge, and to enhance inclusivity of pedagogy
- To optimise overall practice and professionalism within and beyond the curriculum
- To promote joint practice development within the subject-specific ECT community
The programme consists of a range of interconnected areas and subject-specific topics.
- Setting expectations for learning of Mandarin and GCSE Chinese with inclusive planning
- Enhancing acquisition of Mandarin-specific language knowledge, and development of Mandarin-specific language skills for and through the lens of learners
- Optimising effectiveness of learning through active learning and formative assessment in the Mandarin classroom
- Deepening learning of Mandarin and promoting metacognition through learning activities, questioning and feedback
- Promoting positive progress by all learners at GCSE through differentiated practice in the Mandarin classroom
- Working with others within and beyond school for promoting learning of Mandarin
- Developing as a life-long learner and professional practitioner with effective workload management
- Contextualising language learning and developing further domain-specific knowledge through language-culture integrated learning
Structure and Certification
The programme will be delivered with three full-day face-to-face sessions at both London Hub and Leeds Hub. The venue for each session will be confirmed through email prior to each session.
London Hub – UCL Campus
- Session 1: Saturday 11th November 2023
- Session 2: Saturday 27th January 2024
- Session 3: Friday 19th April 2024
Leeds Hub – The Morley Academy
- Session 1: Saturday 18th November 2023
- Session 2: Saturday 3rd February 2024
- Session 3: Friday 26th April 2024
Total professional development time: 15 hours.
A programme completion certificate will be issued upon request provided that the three full-day sessions have been fully attended and the inter-session tasks have been completed.
Who the programme is for
This programme has been developed specifically for first- and second-year Early Career Teachers of Mandarin who will be working in UK-based schools in 2023-2024. All participants are expected to have completed their Initial Teacher Training (through a university-led ITT course, e.g. PGCE, PGDE, or school-based ITT, e.g. school direct, assessment route), and be holders of Qualified Teacher Status or registered with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS).
Free of charge for first-year and second-year Early Career Teachers of Mandarin in UK-based schools in 2023-2024.
How to apply for this programme
The deadline to apply for this programme is Friday 29th September 2023.
Please click « Apply Now » below and fill out the application form.
We anticipate high demand for the limited places available on the programme. Therefore, potential participants should complete the application form below as soon as possible.
Please note: applications may close earlier than the above deadline if all places on the course are filled.
If your application is successful, an admission confirmation email will be sent to you and your Induction Tutor/Line Manager by the application closing date.
Lecturer in Teacher Training and Professional Development