With over 15 years of expertise in developing training, support and resources for schools, we at UCL IOE CI continue to support the growth of Mandarin Chinese in our schools. We are pleased to now offer a free* blended learning course for QTS primary and secondary teachers who would like to develop language and pedagogy skills enabling them to teach Mandarin Chinese up to KS3 & 4. This is an ideal opportunity for teachers who would like to support existing Mandarin provision in their school, or would like to introduce Mandarin to their schools. This blended learning course is (provisionally) designed as a two year course for primary, and three year course for secondary. Each year participating teachers will receive:
- Three face-to-face workshop days, aimed at consolidating language and developing pedagogical skills specific to Chinese language and culture teaching.
- A self-study online language course, supported by the UCL IOE CI team and online lessons with native Chinese speakers.
- The opportunity to study in an intensive language learning course each year (Years 1 & 3 in the UK, Year 2 in China).
- Level tests provided each year, and completion certificates provided.
- The opportunity to enter the internationally recognised HSK Chinese language tests.
Feedback from one of our Level 2 students:
This course has been fantastic for me- the teaching is of an excellent standard. It is always fun and interactive and I have been able to use many of the teaching methods not only for Mandarin but also adapted to other languages that I teach. It has also been great to meet other colleagues.
Last year I taught an enrichment classes in Year 12, this year I have an enrichment class in Year 12 plus 2 Year 10 classes. I teach HSK1 in Y10 as they are beginners and will teach HSK 2 to Year 11 next year. Your course has really given me the confidence to do this, so thank you! 😊
All of the Upskilling workshops are supported by a team of dedicated MA TESOL student volunteers who are native Mandarin speakers and work with teachers in small groups to practise their speaking and listening skills. Read this blogpost from one of our 2019-2020 volunteers, Qingqing Liu.
If you are interested in this unique opportunity, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*The cost of workshops, online course and study (inc accommodation) in China is free. Travel and daily expenses are not included in the UK or China. Entry costs for the HSK exam is not included.