Here are just some of the materials currently available for Mandarin learning in primary schools. We hope you enjoy them!
In August 2019 we launched our very own Primary Mandarin Toolkit. This is completely free to access and contains:
- Practical advice on how to introduce Mandarin as a new subject in your school;
- Simple and effective resources to use in the classroom;
- Programmes of Study;
- Guidance on how to help children progress through KS1 and KS2, and how to prepare them for KS3 Mandarin;
- Links to recommended apps, websites and blogs.
Schemes of Work
Visit the Primary Programme of Study page to download 12 units (72 lessons) originally drafted by James Trapp and Jill Shepherd and subsequently updated as part of the HSBC Mandarin Chinese for Primary Schools Project.
Chinese New Year celebration resources: presentations, activities and materials
Here are some presentations kindly provided by Anne Martin, to introduce China, Chinese language, and Chinese New Year to Primary schools.
British Council Schools Online
UCL IOE CI have been working with the British Council co-authoring primary school education packs for teaching Mandarin and Chinese culture.
- Year of the Tiger (For Chinese New Year 2022)
- Year of the Ox (For Chinese New Year 2021)
- Year of the Rat (For Chinese New Year 2020)
- Year of the Pig (For Chinese New Year 2019)
- Year of the Dog (For Chinese New Year 2018)
- Year of the Rooster (For Chinese New Year 2017)
- Year of the Monkey (For Chinese New Year 2016)
|Lesson plans, assembly plans, activities and supporting materials
Upper primary school
Free to download
Follow our Pinterest board for primary school Mandarin Chinese to see more great resources at a glance.
We will continue adding to this collection over time so please return to see what’s new.
Schools Websites and Blogs
Does your primary school teach Chinese? We’d love to hear from you: