Confucius China Studies Programme

Reserac opportunities - resized

Are you a university graduate or PhD student in Chinese studies?

You may be eligible to apply for a scholarship through a new initiative brought to you by the UCL Institute of Education Confucius Institute in partnership with Hanban (the Office of Chinese Language Council International).

The Confucius China Studies Programme (CCSP) offers funding for China-related postgraduate research studies in the academic disciplines of humanities and social sciences. The IOE Confucius Institute for Schools would be particularly interested in applications that contribute to UK school pedagogy in the subject area of Mandarin and China studies.

Which strand applies to you?

  • I.Joint Research PhD Fellowship: Supports doctoral students (candidates) registered with universities outside of China to come to China for study, research and writing of their doctoral dissertations. Students who successfully complete the programme may receive PhD degrees either from their home university or from both the Chinese and the home university.
  • II. PhD in China Fellowship: Supports students from outside of China to pursue full-time PhD degrees in the humanities and social sciences at Chinese universities.
  • III. “Understanding China” Fellowship: Supports teachers, researchers, postdoctoral scholars with the credential of assistant professor (or equivalent) and above from academic institutes outside of China to undertake research with Chinese researchers in China.
  • IV. Young Leaders’ Fellowship: Supports outstanding young people who have been awarded at least a Bachelor’s Degree and hold a certain position in the field of politics, economics, finance, law, education, culture, arts, and media to visit China.
  • V. International Conference Grant: Aims to support Confucius Institutes, universities, research institutes, and scholars in holding or attending international academic conferences on Sinology and/or China Studies.
  • VI. Publication Grant: Supports scholars from outside of China to publish or translate relevant monographs, doctoral dissertations, or founding relevant academic journals on Sinology and/or China Studies.

Find out more

For more information on eligibility and application procedures, please visit the Hanban website:

For enquiries and application details, please write to Dr Pan Lin at IOE Confucius Institute: