Click here for 中文.
In 2009 a new GCSE Chinese textbook was published in conjunction with Pearson Education and specifically tailored to the new Edexcel GCSE specification and exam.
One of the main challenges for schools teaching Chinese has been the lack of appropriate resources available. Many existing textbooks follow a very traditional approach, and there are few available that are specifically designed for English speaking learners. With more and more schools introducing Chinese into the curriculum, the need was becoming ever greater. It is hoped that by addressing this issue with this new resource, even more schools will consider introducing the subject.
The GCSE textbook was the first in a series of three books to be published; the other two for key stage 3. The team of writers was led by Katharine Carruthers, Confucius Institute Director, who was also the series editor.
The team of writers comprise of Heads of Chinese in five Confucius Classrooms, centres of excellence in Chinese teaching. With contributions from our Confucius Classrooms, the Confucius Institute team and our partners in Peking University, as well as Anne Martin, Lead Practitioner in Chinese, and Ma Yan, former Chinese Confucius Institute Director, the textbook was the successful outcome of the Confucius Institute working together to develop the teaching and learning of Chinese.
The GCSE textbook contains:
- Photos and illustrations in authentic contexts make every lesson interesting and show students what everyday life is like in China.
- Controlled Assessment spreads in every chapter help students prepare for the writing and speaking assessments.
- Examiner tips and advice on improving grades in ResultsPlus sections.
- A wide variety of activities on every spread so you can differentiate your teaching to suit students of all abilities.
- Strong focus on learning Chinese characters with tips, advice and vocabulary boxes throughout and a section on Chinese character acquisition at the back of the book.
- Discrete extension units provide extra stretch activities for more able students
Following the successful publication of the Edexcel GCSE textbook and Jìn bù 1, April 2011 saw the publication of Jìn bù 2. This is the third and final Chinese textbook in a series of effective, localised teaching resources written by experienced Chinese teachers from Confucius Classrooms and aimed specifically at students in UK schools.
The two Pupil Books in Jìn bù cover different year groups. The textbooks have been written by a team of experienced Chinese teachers from Confucius Classrooms and published by Pearson to meet the needs of pupils learning Chinese as a foreign language:
- The Jìn bù resources complement the Edexcel GCSE Chinese course perfectly
- The series follows the structure of other mainstream language courses so pupils and teachers feel comfortable using it
- There is a focus on high engagement, enthusing pupils with its visual layout
- The series has a strong focus on learning Chinese characters with activities that make learning them easier
- Lessons can be tailored according to ability giving every pupil the chance to progress.